Hi Will,

I think you meant to say that you are writing a study design paper
presenting results of simulations and power analysis to determine
appropriate sample sizes for multivariate analyses in geometric
morphometrics. But I would think that would have already been settled by
now, and possibly would be more relevant for certain clustering methods.
The only parameterized PCA variant I am aware of is Kernel PCA, which is a
nonlinear PCA method used for pattern analysis (e.g. used in image
analysis), but that is not often employed in biological geometric
morphometrics papers (at least, those that I frequently come across). When
kernels are used they usually are meant to estimate densities of
reduced-dimensionality data like CS, or PCs as shape variables.

Best,

Justin

Justin C. Bagley, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Scholar