Dear Christy and Emma:

Thanks for conducting this survey!  Its great to see the enthusiasm for and use
of digital data!  I was surprised by the strong interest in centralized digital
repositories.

I am the founder and director of MorphoSource (www.morphosource.org) and we are
planning to begin a massive scaling of our infrastructure thanks in part to
major NSF funding
(https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1661386&HistoricalAwards=false)
 and matching commitments from other sources.  Part of our long term plan for
sustaining growth of the archive involves recruiting help from other
institutions for distributing storage needs in a cloud-like fashion.  Some of
the details of this plan (explaining the mutual benefits of such an
arrangement) as well as a description of many of the basic features of
MorphoSource are available here
(https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316669746_MORPHOSOURCE_ARCHIVING_AND_SHARING_3-D_DIGITAL_SPECIMEN_DATA).

Many of the features that people were hoping for in a digital archive according
to survey responses (DOIs, metadata describing ownership, better searching and
downloading, restricting use during embargo periods, tracking use after) are
already implemented on MorphoSource and being used.  It is designed not only to
serve the interests of users in getting data, but also the interests of
contributors and curators in regulating and tracking data use.

A critical component of any architecture for an open use 3D database is
maintaining relationships between raw and successive derivative versions of
datasets. All such relationships can be maintained in a straightforward way in
our infrastructure when uploading either new data or data derived from existing
datasets on the archive.

Furthermore, our team is coordinating with a number of other groups in
developing a standard data vocabulary (probably as an extension of Audubon
Core) for describing and sharing such data.

MorphoSource currently hosts almost 30,000 datasets representing 3D scans of
~7000 specimens from 150 different museums.  We are also beginning a
collaboration with 15 museums across the US to add another 20,000-30,000
specimens ('oVert' an NSF TCN led by David Blackburn at UF, Gainesville).

Best,

Doug :)