Lisa,
If you have an effort grade as a separate category, then it doesn't "dilute"
the grade.  If you put effort into a grade, such as reading, then you are
grading things other than academics...which is what the grade should be based
upon--according to the presentor.  He is a well-known presentor, but I'm at
home and my materials on this conference are at school.....

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I grade this year  either....we have to
give one letter grade on the report card for each subject.  There are not
standards to check off because the report cards are computer generated in our
junior high  school--all on a small piece of paper!  It's always been done this
way and that's the way it looks like it will stay.  This is my first year of
teaching 7th grade English, so I'm struggling with all of this too.  I've
taught sixth grade in an elementary school for 14 years.
Ann