Hi Tracy, Pat and anyone who wants to join in,

I would love to continue this conversation on the listserv.  As I
grapple with the issue of OCR and Strategy Instruction I am wondering
how to start.  I feel like my kids do have somewhat of an idea that
readers think about what they are reading (almost all of my kids have
had OCR level K in kinder).  I have a read a few of Kevin Henkes
books and modeled my own thinking, primarily text to self and text to
text connections.  A few of the kids shared their connections.  This
has really led me to think that although OCR is focusing (for the
most part) on visualizing in Unit 1 and then Asking Questions, that I
may be better off really focusing on Schema through my read alouds
and when appropriate in the OCR selection. I am also thinking I will
set aside two days of workshop time to focus on comprehension
strategies and the other 3 days on decoding, high frequency words and
fluency.  I am really torn as I know what makes sense and is good
instruction and teaching but it is hard to a line that with what I
have to do.  Any thoughts? Does what I am thinking make sense or am I
off track here?

Michelle/1/CA