My experience is similar (taught 4th for 7 years) and really wanted a
change but second grade is a whole lot different! I'm merging all the
professional readings that you mentioned. Although I'm chomping at the
bit to get into strategy teaching. This was our 4th week and I just
started working with groups one a day. I'm waiting until they can
sustain more independent reading and have built more stamina to even
attempt more groups daily (my goal is 2 groups). I also found I needed
many more books than I had and have been borrowing them like crazy for
indep. rdg time. Running records do give you some info to help groups.
I used the I PICK from Daily 5 to teach how to choose books. I loved
the analogy of the good fit shoes and the kids really "got it" so if
you haven't done that lesson you may plan that. It takes a couple of
days. I also did a reading interest survey to find out their interests
and tried to gather horse books for the many horse lovers and sports
for the boys, etc. My words of wisdom are that you're certainly not
alone!
Linda