I call that time "Shared Reading".  During this block of time you model/teach
the strategies/skills you want students to apply when reading independently and
during their guided reading lessons.  Concepts about print, word attack skills,
phonemic awareness (without the text), fluency, phonics, vocabulary,
comprehension strategies...All the 5 Big Ideas can be modeled and taught during
the Shared Reading Block.  And you are right, by the end of the week, kids have
another "known" book, poem or song to add to their repertoire.
  Kelli Thexton
  Literacy Coach
  Westside Elementary
  Rogers, AR  USA

Heather Wall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I agree with the person who posted below, but I also have another suggestion
for those low non-readers you mentioned. I had a class very much like this a
few years ago (except with many more non-readers), and it really helped to have
a time of day to read big books - read aloud together several times chorally,
echo, etc., act them out with puppets or props, "be the words" for key
sentences, etc. By the end of the week everyone knew the book very well, even
the strugglers. I made individual copies of the book for the kids (you'd really
just need to do it for those lowest ones) so they then had a book they could
read. After several weeks, they had a collection of their own versions of the
big books in their cubbies. Meanwhile, I was making sure to read with their
group daily in small guided reading gruops, using the Reading a-z books, so
they also collected those books they could read. Pretty soon they had a cubby
full of books they were reading on their own. Good luck!

Heather Wall/ 3rd grade/ Georgia
NBCT 2005
Literacy: Reading - Language Arts