From: Sandra Stringham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue 10/3/2006 7:03 PM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: [MOSAIC] an "aha" moment

I thought I would share something that happened today during readers' workshop
share time.  Bear in mind...this is 1st grade.

My class has been working on Text to Self Connections.  We were reading Hazel's
Amazing Mother...if you want the lesson...it's right out of RWM by Debbie
Miller, but the idea is to get kids to understand which connections help and
which don't, what to do with those that don't, and why connections help.

To make the long story short....one of my students after the lesson, wanted to
know if he could record a response in his response journal about Hazel's
Amazing Mother.  Of course...no problem.

His response was When I read Hazels Amazing Mother, I was thinking....and he
wrote it reminded him that he went on a picnic with his mom.

In my mind, I'm thinking how do I go about explaining how this "connection"
doesn't help us understand the book...it was just coincidence, so I asked him
the all important question:  how does this help you as a reader?

Here the "aha!" moment:  "It helped me understand where they were at in the
book.  I could put myself in their place."

So, taking a cue from Debbie Miller: I rephrased what he said:

"I've never thought of it that way...so you were visualizing where they were
at....the setting...you put yourself in the book.  So you could understand the
setting!  That's soooo smart...kiss your brain!"

And it's true....it could help him understand what setting is!  And others!  He
is a 2nd language learner, so I think this is great, anyway...this was
wonderful thinking for 30 days into a new school year!

My aha....maybe I need to do more about understanding what the word setting
means....not just it is where they are at or the time it's happening.

Just thought I would share....don't be so quick to think it doesn't help...it
helped him!

Sandi
1st