> 3.  (similar to #2?) Look for chunks I know in the word, blend them
> together and make a couple of gueses at how this word might sound.  Does
> that sound like any word I've ever heard before and might know the
> meaning of?

One thing I would add is that I ask my students to "say" all of the letters.
This way I know they are looking at the whole word  and since I tell them
'our
brains are always looking for patterns', they may retrieve something they
know to
help them.
I have used this same strategy with first graders and fourth graders.

Jean/nj