I have been reading the discussion about AR for the past few days and agree
with much of it and disagree with some of it.  AR is not a program for
teaching reading or the love of reading.  It is simply a way for a teacher
to see if a student might understand some of othe basic things they are
reading independently.  The reports that a teacher receives can help in
finding out where "some" comprehension problems might be happening.  If a
student is reading level 2 books and getting 100%, but scores very low on
level 3, the teacher knows they need help in choosing shorter books with
higher vocabulary until they are able to understand the books.  It is the
teachers responsibility to use the reports to help the students.  NO, it is
not the all-fired sure way, but it does help.  I can see when students
continually read books that are too easy for them.  They are not challenging
themselves to get any better.  Granted, students need to be able to choose
an easy book, but not all the time.
I always use the example of piano lessons with my students.  If a student is
playing level 4 music, they might like to go back and play throught their
primer or level 2 books just for a fun relaxing time.  But if that is all
they practice, they will never get better.  So it is with reading.
AR helps me help students.  We don't spent points for anything.  My students
do earn the certificates that are built in with the program.  Does it work
as motivation for everyone, no, but for some, yes.  Maybe it is just the
ones who love to read, so what is bad about recognizing them?  I have other
things to help recognize the ones who struggle with reading.
Lori in Utah