In a message dated 10/8/2006 8:55:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

As for
AR, I don't read books because of the level of difficulty, but because I
want to
read them.   Sometimes those books are easy children's  books that make me
laugh or cry, sometimes they are professional books I  don't completely
understand
but plow through anyway, and sometimes they  are adult novels that I read
because they are just plain interesting,  exciting, thought provoking,
hilarious,
or intriguing.    Adults  don't read on AR levels.   There are no AR levels
in
libraries  or bookstores.   How will children ever learn to choose books well
 if
they are restricted in making choices?   Oh well.    I know I 'm preaching to
the choir.

I hope you are beginning to  find ways to teach reading that fit with your
ideas.   Stand up  to your literacy coach with the district framework,
letting her
know you  have a right to use novels and tradebooks.
Hang in  there,
Ruby

Ruby,

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have been using downlaoded books from
reading atoz with my lowest group of children.  They are mostly decodeable
texts
with word families.  The students love them.  They are quirky  books, and are
not AR but they have success reading them independently and then  can "find"
those word family words in other text.  I have begun teaching  the students
about making connections text to text,etc.  I am amazed at  some of their
thinking
it just doesn't come out on the tests that they  take.

I am a fifth year teacher and I know that eventually I will get it and so
will the kids.

Rosie