IMHO, writing and reading are so innerlinked, esp. in the
intermediate and upper grades.  I feel very strongly that part of
reading is responding, and sometimes a response has to be written
down, that's why I try to do my RW and WW back to back when possible,
so that we can take those moments and write about them during
WW....However, it's sometimes unable to happen that way....I let the
kids keep their response notebooks close to them while they're
reading, or have them put sticky notes right in the book when they
were thinking something, and jot down an idea on it, then expound on
it right when independent reading is over.  Just my thoughts.

Jenn 1st/GA