Gina,
This is not an answer to your question, but I've learned that strategies are
what you use 'on purpose' and consciously--meaning you are aware of
'visualizing, making connections, etc.  Strategies become "skills" when they
are done automatically---without thinking.  I don't know if this helps any,
but it was an 'aha' to me.
Barbara/6th/FL