In our district, we suggest that teachers use part of their reading
time for guided reading. It's then that the students would go to the
stations. Our teachers do have 2 hours in the intermediate grades for
literacy--one hour for reading and one hour for writing. It's tricky
fitting it all in, but we emphasize that guided reading is so
important for the struggling readers. some teachers find time for
independent reading at another time; others try to fit it in.
Carol
On Oct 22, 2006, at 6:39 PM, Kerry McDonald wrote:

> I just finished reading Debbie Diller this weekend and I am
> wondering how
> you make the work stations work in a workshop setting.  I am
> thinking that
> during reading workshop while I was meeting with a guided reading
> group,
> kids can read independently and or (I am not sure which word is
> right) go to
> reading workstations, and then during Writer's Workshop, the same
> thing, but
> with Writing work stations??
>
> Can anyone explain how they make it work?  I am a Literacy Coach
> grades K-8-
> so any grade input would be appreciated!
>
> thanks,
>
> Kerry

>>> for responding to literature, including some that have drawing
>>> involved.
>>> 4. Share your writing with another student and revise as needed.
>>> 5. Make a reading activity choice  (i.e., read the wall, read poems
>>> from the poetry basket, sort letter/picture cards, alphabetizing