A few years ago I witnessed Read 180 being used in a SPED classrooms and I
remember that the teachers really liked it.  Read 180 sets your classroom  into
stations, with the computer program building background knowledge and I
think checking comprehension on a literal level.  The teacher has a guided
reading time as well. It uses Scholastic trade books for reading materials and
also
uses Scholastic's Book Counts (I think that is the name) to check
comprehension.  The books are leveled by lexile levels.  The students  really
liked it
and it did get middle school teachers to work in small  groups.  If you buy it,
be sure you have all the materials (there are lots  of cds to order) since I
also remember it being used in summer school and  teachers lamenting that not
all the needed materials were there. I would not  rule it out if funds are
available.
Marsha