Kristen,
I use lots of informational texts such as National Geographic Expeditions
books with my 5th graders.  They love non-fiction and they do not find them
babyish.  I also subscribe to Super Science Magazine from Scholastic.   It is
written with a variety of levels within one issue.  Another reading  genre they
might like are biographies.  As for the guided reading time, I  could not do
all those parts of guided reading in 30 minutes. I have 40  minute lessons and
work on parts of the cycle.  It is my understanding that  intermediate guided
reading can take on many forms, so I would chose the one  that best fits the
students. Hope this helps.
Marsha