Terri Gorsulowsky,
   A few weeks ago you asked about technology use with younger students. Take a
look at these sites:
http://wiki.woodward.edu/hannalee/doku.php?id=hannalee
This Hannalee site has some great examples of kids not only consuming
information, but creating information to share with others.  Pay special
attention to the menu on the left.  The reader's theatre activities with actual
audio pieces of students is impressive.
http://tellraven.us/
This site is from a 4th grade classroom weblog.
The actual teacher site is:
http://borderland.northernattitude.org/2006/12/08/me-a-nominee/

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/09/06 08:51AM >>>
I am currently using iPods in my classroom.  If you can get ahold of
some of these through your IT dept., they can be used for fluency.
You need to have the mic that attaches and you can then have kids use
them to read into.  I have them do a pre-reading and then assess
themselves with a rubric.  Then they practice and use them again to
post assess.  The last reading is then saved and burnt to cd.  The
final step (haven't started this yet, is to save them as an mp3
(through iTunes) and post online with a picture of the book so that
kids in their classrooms can click on the book and hear it read to
them.  They are LOVING this!!!!  If you can't get ahold of iPods,
this can be done with a program on the computer or laptop.  It is
called Audacity (free download, you also need to find lame lib for
transferring the product to mp3.  An IT person can help you with this
if your district provides them.)  and is rather easy to use.  If you
are running Apples, you have a built in mic on the computer.  I think
you need a plug in mic on a Windows based.  These cost about $10.00
at Walmart.  I suggest one even for the mac for better sound quality.
Another thing I just started this week was in my nonfiction groups is
to justify a fact they found in the book.  They chose a fact that
they want to prove is correct and then they go online or use the
World book on the laptop to find the fact.  One girl, on her own,
made a t-chart and showed how they were the same and how they were
different.  She then stated that the fact was correct, but needed to
have more information to explain it better.  This was guided with my
help(the tech/searching part), but they LOVED it as well!!!
Research is another key part that they can be working on.  We often
put research in the Sc./SS range, but it is pure reading/writing.
Can they be researching something as a task once they are trained?
If they are reading a fiction book about, say, an adventure in space,
could they, during workshop time support the facts found in the text
in a similar style to the nonfiction piece (hum - new book club
job!!!!!)  This may not work for every story, but for some it will!!!
Just some thoughts,
Julie/2nd/FL