Dave!
I have just introduced the use of textmapping to one of the fourth grade
teachers that I work with.  We used it for Social Studies in  Guided Reading
.  I felt it was necessary to model determining importance with our SS book
because the content is so dense, and by using the scroll and seeing the
whole layout of the unit, the kids had a good idea of what we were planning
to do.  Not only did we list the elements of non-fiction text, but we could
easily determine what was going to be important and worked in groups to
highlight important information.  Needless to say,  modeling everyday has
been essential . I certainly feel  like the total experience has been great!
Taking in slow through the chapter will enable the group to prepare for
working  in groups in the next chapter...

Jean/NJ