I'd like to add that you should also schedule times for an individual reading
conference, where you do running records.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:  Hi,
I think listening to children read is crucial at all elementary levels. If
more teachers listened to their children, checked fluency and saw if they
were using fix-up skills, then we would have less students who need
remediation.
I always thought that teachers should be listening to children during
guided reading and as they become more proficient, release them to more silent
reading. The problem lies there; teachers quit listening! Also, most children
enjoy reading out loud in small groups, even intermediate grades. They beg
to read, if you have them at the right level and in a supportive environment.
You also do not have to read every paragraph out loud. You have them read
the paragraph where they found text evidence to something someone questioned
and then use it for discussion. Many times this is inferential. They like
being like everyone else. So the answer I would give to the first grade is
gradually release them, but keep listening, just make it purposeful for you and
the reader. Everything in balance!
Marsha

                Joy/NC/4
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  How children learn is as important as what they learn: process and content go
hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org