Hum, sounds like Socrates needs to revisit!
Many elementary teachers do not know how to question.  Teaching  strategies
is easier than forming deep questions.  All of this then affects  the reading

I agree also that a dialog about a subject goes from surface to deeper
understanding as each party shares their ideas.

I have also thought about how thinking strategies are taught one at a time
and stay isolated, when in reality they are linked in a web.

Finally, I firmly believe in the "consume, critique, produce" idea of  moving
children along in their education.

Marsha