I agree with this.  Also just getting them to understand that working at
WalMart or McDonald's is NOT a good career.  Most of my students LOVE Walmart,
it's the one place all of my students have in common.  So one day I took them
through the "money" aspect of it.  Showing them how much they would make
working at Walmart or McDonalds and having to pay rent, buy food, utilities,
etc.  That lesson got it through more than anything else has.  I am lucky in
that, although I work in a very poverty stricken city, I work in one of two
intra-district magnet schools.  So although half of my students are on
free/reduced lunch and come from a second language.  The other half of my
students come from pretty well off parents (one is a lawyer).  It is a good
mixture of kids.  So much so that I looped with them this year from 2 to 3.
Also even though many of my students come from poverty they have chosen to be
in this program that I teach in, called Dual Language, so on the whole,
 education is a very big priority for MOST of my students.  Tammy/CT/3

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 12/25/2006 2:12:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,