Tony Stead talks about  the RAN (Reading and analyzing Nonfiction) chart.  I
have been modeling this in coaching sessions and teachers and kids alike
really like it. It has five columns:  What I think I Know, Confirmed,
Misconceptions, New Information, Wonderings.  Using sticky notes, the
process begins with the obvious‹what you think you know, only it allows you
to deal with stuff that is obviously off-base.  First read allows you to
look for what is confirmed, to move to confirmed, or what is disproved by
the text‹which goes to misconceptions.  The rest, regardless of factual
basis, remains in the first column.  A second read then allows you to
collect new information and begin questioning.  The questioning points you
towards further research...perhaps to confirm or disprove what has been left
in column one.

Lori

On 1/21/07 7:58 PM, "Renee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> A few weeks or so ago somebody posted an idea that was basically an
> extension and variation on the KWL chart. Whoever that was, could you
> please email me off list?  I have a question for you. :-)
>
> Renee
>
> "El fin de toda educacion debe ser seguramente el servicio a otros."
> ~ Cesar Chavez

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor
Todd County School District