But this is where inference and questioning go hand in hand.  We are
currently working this tie together as a class.  We constantly are
talking about how our questions lead to infering what the author is
trying to say.  We talk about how they must make a best choice within
their own thinking of how something ends.  Today we read the Widow's
Broom and did just this with the story.  We also did this with The
Sweetest Fig.  We talked about how their inferences must lead them to
a conclusion about where the story goes.  Writer's do these things on
purpose, so that we can form our own "story" so to speak.  I so feel
that without questioning, one can not infer well.
Just my thoughts,
Julie/2nd/FL