I think I would have the two groups get together periodically and compare
and contrast the topics in each book.  You might want to think of your book
studies as "comprehension study groups" with those books as  your references.

You might be interested to know that Steph Harvey is almost ready to  publish
a primary version of Comprehension Tool Kit and additional  text for the
original kit.  She also is coming out with a second version  for STW.  You
might
want to see when it is available.

Hope this is helpful,
Marsha