Pat,
There's also a "buzz in the air" here in my Florida district that VERY SOON
students will have only LA in middle school.  Teaching reading will be a
'thing of the past,' much like it is in high school.  Yes, high schoolers
read literature---but they aren't "taught" reading.  They're supposed to
"know how" to read.  *Duh* Of course, we find this very bizarre, not only
since we know there are kids with reading deficits sitting in every high
school in the district, but schools that show improvement in reading receive
huge state dollar amounts.  We are doing a huge disservice to our kids and
our profession by eliminating reading from the course list.

As far as your question about letting parents know of the changes coming
down the pike in your district---do you have a PTSA or SAC at your school?
Once the word gets out to them, they'll spread the word for you.  And 39
minutes is LUDICROUS!  We have 45 minute periods (up from 43 minutes last
year), and I feel that's too short!  I'm pushing for 55 minutes. Keep us
posted on the outcome.  The school board will listen to parents before it
listens to teachers.
Barbara/6th/FL