I  am forwarding this from Jeremy.
Ginger
moderator
++++++++++++
Mary Anne,

            When you say that that every student must take reading as a
requirement for graduation do you mean only the students who struggle with
reading on the FCAT's or even the students that don't still have a reading
requirement.  My name is Jeremy and I am graduate student at Syracuse
University in the Literacy program.  I ask this question b./c I went to high
school in New Jersey and reading was a really a forgotten item in the middle
and high schools.  It was included in our Language Arts class but was really
not focused on.  We missed out on a lot of items in my mind because we both
focused on reading some classes or writing other classes and never really
saw the two as connected.  Therefore I struggled in both areas and lacked
the motivation to achieve.  I was wondering if you could explain a little
more about what you mean by a reading requirement.  Is it very separate from
a Language Arts class or are they intertwined.  Thank you!!
Jeremy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]