Cheryl,

This was almost the case at my school, although there was no mandate.
Nonetheless, during the time that I used short passages or short stories, my
students hated to read.  This year,  I have leveled the books in my  classroom
library.  At first, I rewarded them for reading 10 minute during  the day.
Then,
I started to take out my own books and  read them while my students read.
Afterwards, I would  make a few comments about what I was reading and soon they
all wanted to share  what they were reading.  Now, my students read and share
with a  partner.  I have said all of this to say, please do find a time in the
day  when your students can just read and enjoy books.  The funny  thing about
this is now I have to make them put the books away in order to  go to lunch.

Carolyn