I have a concern about low test scores.  I teach in a
school using the Reading First program and the site
administrators have determined that the best teaching
is going on in classrooms with the highest test
scores.
My class (about 75% ELL) had among the lowest scores
in the first trimester assessments.  This concerns me
because I know that my students have learned alot
about learning.  I know that I am doing what I believe
is the best approach for my ELLs----experiences,
hands-on, observations, oral language development.  I
use lots of metacognition
strategies yet when it comes to testing--we aren't
cutting it.
And I am not an excuses person but I really don't want
to become a "practice for the test type teacher".
So if anyone has any suggestions-please let me know.
It's a dilemna because there's a belief that if we
train low socioeconomic children to do worksheets and
practice taking tests and improve scores it translates
into becoming good learners.
How do we honestly bring English Language Learners on
par with English only speakers?
Can I realistically expect my ELL first graders to
perform as well as my only EO student???
Thanks to everyone for their input!
olga