Hello,
I was wondering if someone had any suggestions about behavioral issue I am
having with a student during my reading tutoring lessons.  Let me give you some
background.  I am tutoring a 2nd grade student in reading using the STARS
program, a very structured intervention which includes reading letter/sound
cards, use of a soundboard, reading word cards, dictation, and reading a book.
She does well with the first few steps but when it comes to reading the actual
book, she immediately refuses to read.  I’ve tried to find books that relate to
her interests but she is still resistant with me.  I’m not sure if all the text
intimidates her or if she had some sort of bad experience with reading a book
that is causing her to do this.  I would really appreciate any suggestions that
would help me out in this situation!  Thanks!