I also teach seventh grade English and am having a tough time going from 90
mins/day to 55 mins.  I have tried reading and writing workshop, but there is
not enough consistency when you break up the week.  If something isn't done in
the 2 or 3 day "limit", you have to carry it over to the next week if you don't
assign something to be done at home.

One thing that has worked for me is having students bring a 2 inch binder to
class.  In it are four tabs -- one each for reading, writing, resource
materials and graded assignments.

I would be interested in a typical weekly schedule with reading and writing
workshops also.
Ann