Myra,
I agree with you 100%.  I can;t understand why Administrator's think
Differentiated Instruction and
homogeneous grouping should go hand in hand.

Our district has been following the 4Block format for several years.  The
school I work in was
privileged to have Pat Cunningham, one of the creators of the Four Blocks
framework, come to
visit our school. Pat wrote about our school in her book,Schools That Work,
that she co-wrote
with Dick Allington. Our Self-Selected Reading Block and the Writing Block
are completely
differentiated during the individual conferences we have with each child.
Notes are taken each week
when we meet with individual students so that instruction can be tailored to
the individual needs .

Of course the SSR block has each student reading books on their own levels.
How much more differentiated can
you get? The Guided Reading Block allows teachers to choose from various
formats while practicing
comprehension strategies.

Our district was one of the lowest performing schools in the state, but we
have made steady gains over the years
and are certainly moving in the right direction.  I believe that Four Blocks
was a big part
of our turn around.

But here is the kick...just today I was notified that I will have to attend
a meeting on differentiated instruction and
then set up a grade level unit specifically detailing how I am going to
differentiate in the classroom. I wanted to
scream, " Have you been around to the classrooms lately?"

Hmm, I wonder what supervisor went to a presentation on Differentiated
Instruction and decided to make this requirement.

Thanks for letting me get this all out.

Jean/NJ