Hi Amy,
  Sounds like your school situation is not going to be very conducive to
reader's workshop.  You might be able to squeeze a modified version into social
studies if you use historic fiction and also nonfiction as a genre focus.  It
gives your students less choice, but might allow you to try a workshop approach
for a period of the day.  Any chance of paring down the other reading program
(success for all?) and sparing some more time there?

:)Good luck.  We all understand the struggle.
Bonita DeAmicis
California, grade 5