Susan,

I'm really glad you posted: You're right (and you've got the latest non-fiction
which can never be called non-fiction novels because by definition a novel is
fiction). Freedom Riders: John Lewis and Jim Zwerg on the Front Lines of e
Civil Rights Movement by Ann Bausum and TEAM Moon by Catherine Thimmesh are
exciting reads. I would add to that A Dream of Freedom by Catherine McWhorter.
The book Freedom Riders would work really nicely as a companion book and it
expands on one of her chapters about the Freedom Riders. Recently the NYTimes
published an article about John Lewis taking college students on a bus and
retracing those places and events of that critical summer. It might be
interesting to ask kids to look at the same story through different points of
view and perform them through hotseats (see Jeffrey Wilhelm).

 If you are pursing a line of inquiry around the sixties or notions of civil
rights you can add Kennedy Assasinated by Wilbourn Hampton, 10,000 Days of
Thunder by Phil Caputo, Oh, Freedom! by Casey Osborne, and several books about
the history of rock and roll.

Actually, I am working on a project like this with my least motivated lowest
scoring 8th graders and it's tough to motivate them. My teachers have found,
incredibly, that "it's beyond the beautiful book." That is to say, it's not
enough to give unmotivated middle schoolers beautiful books and expect them to
read and be happy about it. We've incorporated some of the techniques and ideas
of hotseat and other dramas from Jeffrey Wilhem's book on Deepending Reading
Strategies and we've been using ideas from Myra Zarnowski's new book, Making
Sense of History. And that is why I return the importance of keeping the
definitions and distinctions appropriate between fiction and non fiction
because we might also begin to use historical fiction as a motivator because of
the appeal of story. So one might pair, for example, Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse
Anderson with Jim Murphy's Yellow Fever. Or we might pair The Watsons Go to
Birmingham or The Crossing with other non fiction texts about the 1960s. We
might pair Karen Hesse's Out of the Dust with Jerry Stanley's Children of the
Dust Bowl. Shifting back and forth from fiction to non-fiction deepens reading
comprehension (what good readers do: self to text etc) but answers provides an
assortment important historical understandings.

Gosh, sorry, this was a long way off from motivating middle school readers. Non
fiction is a good way to go. But it needs purpose, action, something to do, and
clear expectation.

Sincerely,

Maureen Robins
Literacy Coach,