We have begun to have students use Kurzweil ~an assistive
technology program that enables students to scan the page an have the text read
to them. Kurzweil also allows students to respond using co-writer and Write
-Out loud as well.
                If you re reading to a group of students make sure that you
tape the reading so that in future years struggling readers can assess the text
independently following along with the tape!
                If you parent volunteers are good readers that might be a job
they like to do.  I find that with middle school readers ~ they can often
respond to higher level thinking questions if they have the text access
support. They also feel very much part of the social fibre of the classroom ~
and are able to participate in the whole reading strategy process without
feeling isolated.