has anyone done a readability on the stories in the basals to see what level
they are really at?

Linda DeGreen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  From my experience, there are few
books that can really meet the
needs of your whole class. Some books are way too high level, some are
not going to challenge the high ones. That's why using basals don't
make much sense, they only reach a certain part of the class.Having
said that, I used Owls in the Family by Mowat for several reasons
(animals, adventure,friendship theme, kids as main characters, etc)
and it was such a delightful story (level p) so it was in the range of
most learners. Bridge (I think about an S) is a high level with really
difficult concepts for most 4th graders.
Maybe your students are going to be at the high end, but maybe find out
before your do your planning...
Linda