How wonderful to see you so excited.

Have you tried Making Words by Patricia Cunningham and Dorothy Hall.  There
is Making More Words, Making Big Words...etc.  I loved it.  The kids are
given letters in a bigger word and asked to find patterns to help them make
as many words as they can.
Kim

On 3/6/07, Stephanie Ann Vander Voort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I want to thank everyone again for all of the suggestions I was given
> about integrating quality strategies instruction into my short
> lessons. I have been implementing many of your suggestions for about a
> week and a half now (since the students have returned from winter
> break)?My lessons have been going so well! I talked to one of the
> teachers that I work with and asked if I could keep the same group for
> a few days in a row instead of switching to a new group everyday. She
> agreed, so now I don?t feel so rushed to get through the books she
> wants me to work on with her students in such a short block of time.
> So far we have been working on questioning. The kids love it. We
> talked about how all good readers ask themselves questions to help
> them to better understand what they are reading.  As we went through
> the book, we wrote down a list of all the questions we had and the
> pages they came from. At the end of the book we looked at all of the
> questions and decided if they were answered and where the answer came
> from(later in the book, someone else knew the answer, ect). We still
> need to talk about how asking all of these questions are helping us as
> readers and then start weeding out the types of questions that don?t
> really help. I am very impressed with what we have done so far and the
> questions my students have been coming up with. I am looking forward
> to working more with questioning and other strategies. Since the
> students are getting better at their questions I think that next week
> I will give them post it notes to keep track of their own questions.
> Does anyone have any other suggestions for scaffolding this strategy?
>
> With my younger students, I have started using many of the sorts from
> Words Their Way.  This has been going very well also. There are so
> many different kinds of sorts to do that the students are continually
> engaged and don?t lose interest. I also love that the sorts can be
> adapted to fit the level of each student. I work with some students
> with picture cards and have them sort by initial sound, final sound or
> short vowel sound. If anyone had done any sorts with students that
> work well I would love to hear about these too!
>
> Thanks again for all of your help so far!

Kimberlee Hannan
Department Chair
Sequoia Middle School
Fresno, CA