I agree!  I am very disappointed in Study Island and will recommend that
our school does not repurchase it.  The lack of a tutorial component and
need for a teacher to be standing right there is extremely frustrating.
I think it is often a waste of time.  I am also upset that they use the
very passages that the state gives us for use in exposing students to
test format.  I think it is too much to ask the company to find
passages/questions on their own.  What we basically purchased was a
computerized for of exactly what we already have available to us.  And,
as stated by others, the inability to "touch" the reading makes it very
difficult to work with.
Amy

----use Study Island with my resource students.  I do like the math
better
than the reading but I use a test reader program (Read and Write Gold)
and that
helps the struggling readers.  I have gone through the lessons  before
presenting them to the students and build min-lessons to encourage
strategy use
during the computer time. It is extra work but I am seeing  improvement
especially
in lower level students.