Teaching QAR is probably the best way to do this.  At
a workshop for our state test, the trainer said that
if one taught QAR, the students would likely do well
on the comprehension portion.  Scholastic has a decent
book on QAR.  I always (naturally) tie it into my
questioning and inferring units.  One activity we do
uses Fly Away Home as an anchor text.  I read a
portion aloud, modeling questioning.  Then I continue
reading and sharing my thinking, but also have
students do turn and talk and share their questions.
I record them in my notebook and then I type them into
the computer and section them so they can be cut
apart.  The next day, I introduce the different types
of questions in QAR.  We look at our questions, and
sort a few of them.  Then I have them partner up, give
them a copy of the text, and divvy up the questions.
They work to sort the questions by type.  They share
their decisions, which always leads to wonderful
discussions.  This takes a few days, but it really
gets my students thinking, and helps them identify
inferrential questions vs. literal.

Sorry this is so rambling.  Hope it makes some sense!

Lisa
2/3 IL