From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 5:04 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Technology

I am wondering if anyone has used, or knows about any web-based or technology

based tools to use in instructing reading comprehension, fluency or decoding.

My district technology person keeps pushing me to find more advanced/technolgy

based ways to teach kids to read and comprehend.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Rebecca

Grades 4/5

ginger/rob wrote:

I have received a few emails asking if the Mosaic list is offline. Rest

assured that we are up and running. I'm thinking that many districts are on

Spring Break this week???

This is a great time to share what you have been focusing on in your

classrooms. Or to ask any questions you may have about comprehension

instruction.

I've been working on nonfiction reading/research using questioning as our

springboard. We studied honeybees (Life Science standard) whole class these

past three weeks. Now when we return from break, we are launching our

Physical Science standard study (energy, matter, electricity, sound/light,

gravity, magnetism, simple machines).

I've gathered all the guided reading leveled books I can find in our school

on these topics (our district did a HUGE buy of Pearson SuccessNet books)

and later this week I am going to the public library to grab all the easier

books on our topics.

I had my kids previewing all the Pearson books for two days. Mostly just

exposing them to the topics we will be studying. They wrote down new

learnings in their learning journals. We've been working on listening to

the inner signal (visual or auditory) that goes off when we read something

new that is important.

My kids will choose their top three areas to study by interest. I will

assign them in small groups to become the "experts" in one area. I am also

using the Lucy Calkins Unit of Study on Nonfiction Writing so they will be

writing "All About" books on their topic.

We'll start off by listing our "I wonder...."s.

I've done this sort of "study" with third and fourth graders but this has

been my first time with second graders. They did a great job when we were

all studying honeybees (as our model). I had our librarian borrow all the

honey, honeybees, and beekeeper books from the other schools in our district

plus I supplemented with books from the public library. We read a fiction

book as our anchor (and to activate schema) and then we wrote 5 chart papers

of "I wonder...."s. They read for days trying to find answers to the class

questions. Then we grouped into "chapters" of interest (life cycle, how do

bees make honey, how do bees communicate, beekeepers, parts of a bee,

interesting/important facts about bees, types of bees, etc.) and the groups

became the experts. I didn't have them write a "book" but rather gave each

group a chart paper and they could represent their learnings as they chose.

Then they presented their learnings to the whole class. We watched two

movies on honeybees and we even had a REAL beekeeper come and talk to our

class. It was so validating when he started off by asking my kids what they

know about bees and they just rattled off TONS of information. All things

THEY learned by THEIR OWN reading. Not taught by me lecturing at them.

VERY POWERFUL!! I will be doing some whole group explicit mini lessons on

each science topic to be sure that everyone gets a base of new learnings.

But for the most part they will teach each other with their "All About"

books.

I like to do science and social studies this way. It puts all the

strategies to use in real reading. Yeah, they aren't perfect at it yet, but

it's a start and to me, it is all about building background knowledge

towards deeper study as they get older. Learning how to navigate nonfiction

text is HUGE in life and this is a sure way to capture their interest.

After studying nonfiction conventions and doing a lot of modeling and guided

groups on catching/reporting new learnings, we are on a roll.

That's what's been happening in my little world. Check in with us on what

YOU'VE been doing with your students!

Ginger

moderator

grade 2