I have found ELA and Social Studies to be a natural fit.  I use a theme
approach, focus on a few social studies concepts (e.g.
diversity/change), and choose the literature to match.  A novel might be
the starting point, but then the kids get into researching topics that
arise from that reading.  Picture books are so valuable in exploring
social studies concepts.  I have done this with grade 4-6.  Last year I
had 9 groups reading 9 different novels that fit into a "Unity Within
Diversity" theme.  Although the books dealt with different events in
history, we spent a lot of time connecting the themes and exploring how
they fit into our Diversity theme. Kids were so amazed and interested in
all the connections. So, in short, the Language Arts processes were used
to explore the social studies concepts.

Marg Epp
Learning Support Facilitator
Prairie Spirit School Division