What grade level do you teach, Amy? I would suggest the scholastic
professional book "Reading and Writing Informational Text in the
primary Grades" and there is
also one for grades 3-6. Check on-line for children's book awards in
the informational category, for
examplewww.reading.org/awards/children.html
Some excellent expository text authors are Joanna Cole, Allan Fowler,
Gail Gibbons (my favorite), Linda Glaser, Ruth Heller, Barnabas and
Annabel Kindersley, Milton Meltzer, Ann Morris, Mary Pope Osborne,
Jerry Pallota, Lawrence Pringle and Seymour Simon. It is well worth
the time and effort to teach this genre. many of your reluctant
readers and many boys love this genre and it is the hook to get them
reading! Good luck and enjoy!