In Ken Goodman's recent book about DIBELS you can find not only the careful
critiques of a number of education leaders but also stories from teachers
such as myself.  I have to say that I think it is a dangerous tool, not
simply one that is flawed.  I had a six pack of readers in my last looping
classroom that had garnered my concern, my monitoring using other tools and
my extra attention.  They had all entered second grade reading at levels 12
through 16, and my concerns were founded on different issues.  Fluency was
one of the concerns held for several of them.  The very first told during a
DIBELS deflated nearly all of them and and I spent two weeks rebuilding
their confidence in their own word solving strategies.  One child however,
read my body language (I was trying to do the company line), and leaned
towards me with a sense of comradory and conspiracy.  "Don't worry," he
whispered, "I know this isn't REAL reading." This was from a child who not a
fluent reader but consistently scored the highest scores on any
comprehension measure.  His speech patterns were also somewhat dysfluent--he
tended to trip over himself, speak very quickly but with lots of repeating
of phrases and he did so even more when thoroughly excited about learning.
We worked with lots of performance work: reader's theatre, recitation,
poetry performance.  I am not sure that he will ever be a Walter Cronkite
but my bet is he will be the guy writing the feed!  Within two months, he
had doubled his reading score and ended up above grade level at the end of
the year.  All the other children made progress, two were identified as
having reading disabilities and our average rate of gain for these children
was in excess of twelve reading levels.  Why is it important to share that
data with you?  Because we never used the DIBELS intervention programs,
never timed reading outside of the DIBELS.  WPM did improve with all of the
children, but they never attained grade level proficiency.  Two of the
remaining five children came off the top of my mental 'worry list' when they
became passionate and avid readers--an attitudinal change that was like a
tree coming into bloom.  Two were diagnosed with reading issues.  They have
increased their accuracy and oral fluency but both children continue to have
issues with comprehension.  One child, the saddest story in my mind, is a
capable but unwilling reader.  Sorry to be so long-winded, but this is an
issue of passion for me.  By the way, our district dropped the DIBELS and I
would like to think I helped to influence that decision.

Lori

Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor
Todd County School District