Pat,
We've just started having a conversation about this. My thinking is that in
the primary grades they are teaching what the strategies are and how to use
them  and up until now that's what all grades did. No matter how many times we
tell  that good readers use all the strategies when then read, I really don't
think it  gets through to them when we teach the strategies one at a time year
after year.  I think that in 4th and 5th grade we should do a quick review of
what the  strategies are and how to use them, especially for new and
struggling students.  Then I think we need to concentrate on fitting the
strategy to
the text to make  meaning. Flexible groups could be for the students struggling
with the strategy  or content or whatever they need.
I'm interested in what others think.

Sue