Hello,
I am working on planning for the next school year- and I could use some help. I am going to have a 2nd grade inclusion classroom- students with various disabilities will be included- mostly students with learning disabilities- so it is very important to me that I meet everyones needs. I am planning on using Phonics Lessons for grade 2 from Gay Su Pinnell and Irene Fountas for my word work portion of my literacy instruction.

However, I want to really TEACH spelling versus "here are your spelling words for the week, and you will have a spelling test on Friday, for homework write your words..."
So, I have some ideas but I am not sure the best way to go.

I plan on having a word wall- and teaching from it- 5 words a week- 2nd grade sight words and then:

I really like Tim Rasinski's "Making and Writing Words" for grades 2-3, which is making words with a phonics focus, but I also like the idea of using word families with poems ( I have Tim's book "Phonics Poetry Teaching Word Families").

So this leaves me with "is this too much word work?" I really want to focus on reading strategies and have a good balance. What are some suggestions for putting it all together??
Any help would be great!

Rosa