From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 5/28/2007 11:52 AM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] NYC Middle School Reading

Good Morning-
As a former literacy coach in a New York City school district serving 20,000
students with a range of disabilities I have focused most of my work in
bringing the instructional framework of balanced literacy through the workshop
model to our classrooms because in its highest form the workshop model
represents the highest level of differentiation to meet the needs of all
students.  This model also provides equity an access to authentic literacy
education which is guaranteed under IDEA.  We have embraced the AMERICA'S
CHOICE RAMP-UP to LITERACY program for our middle and high school students.

Changes in promotional policy in the NYC schools has resulted in a significant
RESPONSE TO INTERVENTION initiative which provides students with targeted
literacy intervention in ADDITION to literacy instruction through the READERS
and WRITERS workshop.  With specific programs to address specific targeted
needs of students in word study and fluency building, programs that involve the
use of technology ( a natural connection for middle school students) have
proven to be quite successful as evidenced by the rise in 8th grade test scores.

Additionally, students who are identified as "promotion in doubt" are provided
with an intense summer program across disciplines with students taking a
standardized assessment in ELA and/or MATH for promotion purposes.  In the
content areas of science and social studies, students are required to complete
an "exit-project" with the components of a written document, a visual
representation and an oral presentation.

When totaled together, all of these instructional initiatives provide several
appropriate opportunities for students to make significant academic gains.

Shelley Levy