> I don't think I have to be able to name the strategies...I am not as
> convinced as many of you I even have to know them to become a better
> reader.  I think Bill is right though-it is the act of reading that will
> make all of our kids readers.
>
> john d

I think knowing the strategies has made me a better TEACHER OF READING, not
a better reader.  Before, I was often at a loss when trying to help a child
read better.  Pre-MOT, I taught a reading workshop format similar to
Atwell's IN THE MIDDLE, but I often found myself asking myself "Why doesn't
this child love to read yet?" and couldn't find a way to help him.  I showed
him good books based on his interests, but I didn't have the knowledge on
how to help him to READ.  With MOT, I now have specific strategies that help
me help that child.  If he can't visualize, I know techniques and lessons.
If he can't read fluently, I can help him become fluent.  As a good reader,
I did those things instinctively and never stopped to think that the kids
couldn't do those things.  Going back to my "Bike" analogy, if I tried to
ride a unicycle, the strategies for riding one wheel are basically the same
as for two, but without knowing what strategies to alter (balance,
pedalling, etc.), I will never learn to ride a unicycle...or an adult
tricycle.  People learn to love reading from the act of reading, but if they
can't read well, that's where the strategies come in handy.

Atwell's kids already read.  Even back in IN THE MIDDLE, she only had a
small group of 70 or so kids unlike the rest of us who have 100 or 140, but
her point is valid:  Get a kid to read good books well, and they will read
for a lifetime.  The strategies are guideposts on the journey of reading...

Bill