I had another great year in second grade using great models like Mosaic,
Reading With Meaning, Growing Readers, Strategies that Work, and Reading
Essentials.  I'm a real teacher nerd and love to read these books over and
over.  I use them a lot in my mini-lessons.  This year's group didn't seem as
clear in understanding the strategies as quickly as the previous year's class.
We just took things slower.  The kids (and I) love the independent reading
part.  I think they get so much more out of individual conferences and when I
tell them they need to find a stopping place, they moan and groan because they
are "right in the middle of a good part".  I'll take that kind of complaint any
day!! Now I need some advice.  Our school has just adopted the Houghton Mifflin
reading series for next year and I spent all afternoon listening to how to use
the program.  I hope I don't sound like a reading snob, but it was very hard
for me to sit there.  Some of the components to the program are fine, but I
just think the approach I have been using is sooooo much better!  I'm not a fan
of workbooks and of course we have two.  I know we are expected to use the
series (especially this first year), but I'm not sure to what extent.  I used
the old basal series for partner reading most of the time so I could say I used
it.  And it did have some good literature in it.   I don't want to go against
the grain, but I also cannot go back to teaching that way.  I'm trying to find
a happy medium between the two in a 90 minute block.  Any suggestions would be
so welcome.  I'm feeling very frustrated at this point.  I came straight home
to get your wonderful advice.  I'll probably be more calm about it tonight, but
as soon as I see the manuals tomorrow my blood pressure will go right back up!
Help!

Wendy