Hi Everyone,

I'd like to include my parents more this next school year. I want them to
feel more a part of their child's education.  A couple of things I'd  like to
incorporate (and am hoping you will contribute your expertise to :-))  are:

1.  A book sent home with each child for a week.  I'd like to  attach various
activities that will engage the parent with the student and the  book;
activities that will focus on the strategies we are learning, skills,
vocabulary,
fluency, etc.  Do any of you do anything like this?  Any  hints/or suggestions?

2.  Hold a "read-in" twice a month where parents will be invited to  come in
and "relax and enjoy a good read" with their child.  I'd provide  milk,
cookies, tea.....something.  I figured maybe they could spend 30  minutes in
the
classroom on designated days and times.  For the students  that didn't have
parents that could come in, I'd buddy them up with a 5th  grader, principal,
counselor, another teacher, or something like that.

I'd love to hear your suggestions and ideas!!!

Thank you in advance for you help!

Ali/FL
NBCT '06
4th  Grade