The DRA2 includes Nonfiction texts at benchmark levels.  So starting at
level 16 the students must be able to read and comprehend a nonfiction
text.  Another aspect of the DRA2 that I really like is that in order to go
on to the next level, the student doesn't just give an oral retelling.
There are certain comprehension components that they must be able to
understand.  Also, starting at level 28, the student's responses are all in
a written format.  The idea behind this is that, if they can read at that
level, their writing must also be on the same level.  The final aspect of
the DRA2 that I am in love with is that there are multiple titles for the
student to choose from.  If, as teachers, we are going to assess our
students as readers, then we need to give them the opportunities they would
have as a reader in a real life situation.  A good reader chooses his or her
book, he or she is not given a book and told to "read the book from the
beginning to end and then come back and tell everything that happened."  The
student will be able to select a book and later on they may be asked why
they chose that particular book.  This is probably one of the only times
that we as teachers will be allowed to teach to the test.  Everything we are
expected to do as reading and writing teachers will be assessed using the
DRA2.

Lisanne, I hope this gives you some insight to my new found love for the
DRA2.

Liz T
Sugar Land, TX
2nd grade