I'll look for those things.  Thanks.
Kim

On 7/4/07, Beverlee Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, I've used this technique for many years and I still love it.  I've
> used
> it more with second graders, but also with first graders on an individual
> basis.
>
> Waaaay back when, Bill Martin did great work with this in most anything he
> wrote, but I'm especially thinking of the teacher's guides of his Sounds
> of
> Language series that, I THINK, was published by Holt, Rinehart, and
> Winston.
>   If you can ever get any of those materials, do; they're worth their
> weight
> in gold.  Personally, I've thought many times of Bill Martin the last 5
> years.  I'm so glad he was still alive to see that we as a profession
> finally caught on to what he was telling us for decades about sounds of
> language and teaching kids to read.  And I'm even happier that he didn't
> get
> to see the gigantic 3 and 1/2 decade leap backwards the profession has
> made
> since his death.
>
> The other resource that would be helpful for this is to get a high school
> teacher's composition textbook.  With the background from the workshop you
> attended, you will be able to transfer the concepts from that to whatever
> level you need.
>
> Good luck!
>

> I saw a demonstration of this from a professor from Florida (I think) at
> the
> CATE conference in the spring.  It was fascinating how she managed to get
> us
> to take teeny tiny sentences, like what many of my kids write, and turn
> them
> into a good meaty sentence very similar to the original in Across Five
> Aprils.
>
> I understand this is NOT a new technique.  She used it for revision, ELD
> students, and reading comprehension.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kim
-------
Kimberlee Hannan
Department Chair
Sequoia Middle School
resno, California 93702

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, let go of what you can't
change, kiss slowly, play hard, forgive quickly, take chances, give
everything, have no regrets.. Life's too short to be anything but happy.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]