I'm not Tim, but I'll jump in here with a thought that might put your
experience in a different perspective.

Do you think it's possible that when he's reading aloud, he's so
focused on how he sounds that he isn't thinking about what he's
reading? This happens to me. When I'm reading in front of an audience,
very often, I have no idea of what I've read. Maybe this is a sign that
he's a mature reader. How often do any of us read aloud? How often do
we worry about how fluently we read or how we sound? And when we do
worry about that, what happens to our comprehension? Most of us do most
of our reading silently.

Beyond beginning reading, beyond first grade, there is a zero
correlation between fluency and comprehension. In fact, fluency (in
terms of a focus on wpm and even prosody) can actually interfere with
comprehension because the reader is thinking about that performance
aspect instead of meaning, especially if he or she is being timed. .
The research supports that. So maybe this boy is a fluent as he needs
to be. And if he's reading silently with comprehension, then why worry
about how he sounds when he reads aloud since most of mature reading
and even reading for tests is silent anyway?